Wednesday 26 March 2014

Progression

Over the last few weeks I have seen a lot of improvements within my group and also within myself, I know that my skills base has expanded and I have made a lot of personal progress in terms of my confidence for filming and editing of our opening. In the last week I have learnt how to make a title composition for the name of our film, I was pleased with it for a first attempt but after analysing it and looking at how it would appear in our sequence, I realised that there were a lot of changes I needed to make.


I have looked at this composition closely and in my opinion, the letters of the word 'chance' come in too quickly and it doesn't seem right and to me doesn't fit in correctly. I also do not like how we can see the letters at the bottom of the screen before they flip and come onto the screen, it doesn't flow correctly. My final problem with this composition is that the text is in a white font and the flashes behind the text are also white so we lose some of the letters behind the effect. I am going to re-make this and make the letters move not as fast and do my best to have the letters beginning off of the screen. I also think it may look better with a different effect behind the text; possibly just a plain black background behind the text.

Looking back at my skills base from the continuity task, I could not even film the most simplistic of shots and had to learn to edit from scratch, a few weeks ago the only editing technique I knew was how to cut using the razor tool on adobe premier pro. I can now edit using all sorts of tools, adding in transitions and effects such as dissolves, fades and wipes. My teachers were also pleased with the way I had applied my knowledge of parallel editing to show two different characters journey at the same time but still making it clear that it is not the same character especially using shots that do not show their faces.


In terms of my project; I was extremely behind regarding the work I had been assigned to help the group and pull the group forward with the project. However I soon fixed these issues, became more organised and realised how important it was to me and how much I wanted to do well. I now consider myself one of the leaders of the group, I feel that if I do not take the responsibility of delegating tasks within the group otherwise tasks do not seem to get done. I feel I have taken a lot on board and I have also taken a lot of tasks to do because I am unsure as to whether they will completed if I do not do them myself. The feedback we seem to get all of the time if that out group does not communicate enough, this is crucial that we communicate all of the time especially as the deadline is in less than two weeks. Another member of the group came up with the idea that we make a group chat via iMessage where we can share what we have been doing and letting each other know what needs to be done and also let each other know if we will not be attending a lesson and whether we are struggling with a task. This was a good idea until it was only used for people to discuss whether they would be in the lesson or not. No one told anyone if they had done any filming in their private time or whether they had completed a blog post or even gone onto our opening sequence and completing some editing. We all son realised that this was absolutely unacceptable; I have created an idea on the mac that our group uses for our opening sequence; we are supposed to at the end of us uploading or editing something we are supposed to make a note of it on the page I have set up, however I am the only member of the group who has put anything on this.


As a group I feel we have improved massively since the continuity task, we have been able to shoot a pan shot with accuracy, completely still camera and no problems; something we would never have thought we could have done when doing the continuity task. We did have an issue which we found earlier today which was the one of the members of my group had used their own personal camera to do some filming, the resolution and the size of the footage was completely different to the school cameras that we had used for other scenes. This was a major issue as when we tried to re-sioze it, the resolution was not the same and the footage was not clear.



     


Although this is a major set back as we now have to re-film the first 45 seconds of our opening sequence, it is a learning curve for the future. It will also help me next year where I will have to complete my project by myself. It was an easy mistake to make but it is also extremely crucial that we fix the issue.

Overall, the group has made sufficient progress in the last few weeks and I as an individual am surprised with myself in how much knowledge I now have in terms of filming and editing and also proud of myself in terms of confidence, I now feel that I can sit down and edit by myself ad go and do independent filming, I do not feel as if I need help all of the time and need support just in case I was confused.


No comments:

Post a Comment